Want to Thank a Nurse?
DAISY Award honorees are nurses who personify CHI St. Luke’s Health-Memorial’s remarkable patient experience. These nurses consistently demonstrate excellence through their clinical expertise and extraordinary compassionate care, and they are recognized as outstanding role models in our nursing community.
ABOUT THE DAISY FOUNDATION
The DAISY Foundation was established in 1999 by the family of J. Patrick Barnes who died of complications of the auto-immune disease Idiopathic Thrombocytopenia Purpura (ITP) at the age of 33. (DAISY is an acronym for diseases attacking the immune system.) During Pat’s 8 week hospitalization, his family was awestruck by the care and compassion his nurses provided not only to Pat but to everyone in his family. So one of the goals they set in creating a foundation in Pat’s memory was to recognize extraordinary nurses everywhere who make an enormous difference in the lives of so many people by the super-human work they do every day.
A DAISY Award nominee must be a LVN or RN employed by CHI St. Luke’s Health-Memorial or one of its entities that consistently meets all of the following criteria:
- REVERENCE: establishes a special connection with patients and families through trust and emotional support
- INTEGRITY: maintains the trust and confidence of all with whom he/she engages
- COMPASSION: is thoughtful, compassionate and caring in all situations
- EXCELLENCE: strives for the highest quality and continuous improvement
- Goes above and beyond to care for the needs of the patient and family
- Takes time to educate and include the patient and family during the care process
What you receive
Each DAISY Award Honoree will be recognized at a public ceremony and will receive a certificate, a DAISY Award pin, and a beautiful hand-carved stone sculpture titled “A Healer’s Touch.” Additionally, everyone in the unit/department will celebrate with Cinnabon® cinnamon rolls – a favorite of Patrick’s during his illness. The Barnes Family asks that whenever and wherever nurses smell that wonderful cinnamon aroma, they stop for a moment and think about how special they are.