When an emergency occurs you want treatment and you need it fast. The physicians and nurses at CHI St. Luke's Health-Memorial are here for you 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
What to Expect Upon Arrival
You will be seen and assessed by a Triage Nurse who is specially trained in emergency care. Following triage, patients will be seen by one of the emergency room physicians or a Nurse Practitioner. Please note that physicians will treat the most critical patients first, not by the time a patient arrives in the emergency room. Our emergency room physician and nurses will do everything possible to expedite your care. The following are the Triage and Acuity Levels:
- Resuscitation—Conditions that are a threat to life requiring immediate aggressive intervention to restore or preserve life.
- Emergent—Conditions that are a potential threat to life, limb, or function requiring immediate intervention.
- Urgent—Conditions that are a serious illness or injury requiring intervention. Usually this condition is associated with significant distress or discomfort.
- Less Urgent—Conditions presenting as an illness or injury requiring intervention. These conditions are usually associated with mild to moderate distress or discomfort.
- Non-Urgent—Conditions that are a minor illness or injury for which intervention could be delayed or deferred. These conditions are usually associated with minimal or no distress or discomfort.
TECHNOLOGY TO EXPEDITE TREATMENT
CHI St. Luke's Health-Memorial leads the area in offering the most advanced technology in its Emergency Rooms. In addition to small patient/staff ratios, CHI St. Luke's Health-Memorial emergency rooms are equipped with the latest imaging and medical information systems available.
- PHI Helicopter (located in Lufkin and available for stat transfers)
- CT Scanners located within the Emergency Departments
- Electronic PACS System allows physicians to view diagnostic test results of a patient securely from anywhere in the world
- Additional support of CHI hospitals in The Woodlands and Texas Medical Center, if needed.
All patients are “Quick Registered” with minimal information being solicited prior to patients being triaged. When rooms are available, patients will leave the triage area and go directly into a private room. However, you may have to wait in the lobby prior to seeing a physician. Wait times are dependent upon emergency room volume and the acuity of other patients.
What to Bring
If possible, please bring a list of current medications when coming to the emergency department. You will be asked the following questions about your health:
- Medications you are taking
- Health care history
- Surgeries you have had
- Physicians you see/have seen
- Current chief health complaint
Food & Drinks
We ask that you check with a nurse before eating or drinking. This could affect your test results or cause delays in your treatment. If eating is permissible, vending machines are located in the emergency department waiting room and the hospital’s main lobby.
For Your Safety
- If not being treated, we request that children under the age of 12 remain in the waiting area at all times. Children must be supervised by an adult and not left alone in the waiting area.
- Due to limited space and the need to protect your confidentiality, only two visitors are allowed in each treatment room.
- In order to protect patient confidentiality (yours and others), we ask that once you are placed in your room that you remain there with the door closed during treatment.
- Please protect your valuables. Unfortunately, CHI St. Luke's Health-Memorial cannot be responsible for the loss of personal belongings, such as money, jewelry, eye glasses, dentures, cell phones, hearing devices, or clothing and accessories. To reach security services, dial “0” on one of the house phones located within the emergency department.
CHI St. Luke's Health-Memorial accepts cash, checks, credit cards, most insurance, Medicare, and Medicaid. CHI St. Luke's Health-Memorial will treat all emergent patients regardless of their ability to pay.